Clayton County, Iowa

Font Size


Voter Registration Card



Note: Information on this page is specific to Clayton County, Iowa.  If you do not live in Clayton County, Iowa, you need to contact the jurisdiction where you live to get a voter card.

When you register to vote or change your registration, our office produces a new voter card for you.  We also mail new voter cards to voters whose polling places or other information changes.

Each voter card will include a reply card you may use to make any corrections.  If all your information is correct, do not return the card.  If you need to change your name, address, phone number or party affiliation, simply make the corrections, sign the card, and mail it to our office. Within two weeks you should receive another new voter card with the corrected information.

We cannot accept changes over the phone or by e-mail, since Iowa law requires a signature.

If you do not receive a card within two weeks, or if a card arrives in your mailbox for someone who is deceased or no longer lives at your address, please contact our office at (563) 245-1106.

Do I need my card when I go to vote?

You do not need your card in order to vote. Voter cards are provided for reference and information purposes and to allow you a chance to correct possible errors.

A voter card is not a form of identification.  If ID is required, you will need a photo ID and your voter card will not be sufficient.  Most Iowa voters do not need to show ID when they vote.  There are exceptions:

  • If you plan to register or change your address at the polls on Election Day.
  • If you registered by mail and did not provide the correct identification number or documentation, your registration will be in "pending" status.
  • If mail has been returned to our office indicating that you have moved outside the county, your registration will be in "inactive" status.

If you are in “pending” or “inactive” status, you only need to show ID one time, and your status will be returned to the regular "active" status.



The address on the side of the card that lists your polling places is your registration address.  This should be the physical address at which you live, and is used to determine your precinct and districts.  If this address is incorrect, please fill out the reply card, sign it, and return it to our office.

The address on the side of the card that says RETURN SERVICE REQUESTED is your mailing address.  If you use a post office box or mail drop, that address will appear here.  Otherwise, the mailing address should be the same as your registration address.  Your card may list a post office box that you no longer use.  You may use the blank lines on the registration address side of the card to tell our office to remove the post office box, add a box if you use one, or make other changes.

Voter ID Number

This is a computer-assigned unique ID number used within the statewide voter registration system to aid in the processing of records.

Party Affiliation

One of five abbreviations will appear on your voter card in the party area:

  • DEM - Democratic Party
  • REP - Republican Party
  • GR - Green Party
  • LIB - Libertarian Party
  • NP - No Party

You will be listed as a Democrat or Republican if:

  • You checked the corresponding box on your voter registration form, or
  • You registered with the Department of Transportation and specified a party, or
  • You voted in the primary election of the specified party and have not subsequently changed your registration to another affiliation.

You will be listed as a Green or Libertarian if:

  • You checked the corresponding box on your voter registration form, or
  • You have registered as a Green or Libertarian since January 1, 2008 and have not subsequently re-registered with another affiliation.  (Voters who registered as Greens between 2000 and 2002 had their registration changed to no party in February 2003, when the Greens lost party status.)

You will be listed as No Party if:

  • You checked the "No Party" box on your registration form, or
  • You did not choose a party, left the party boxes blank, or checked more than one party, or
  • You registered with the Department of Transportation and did not specify a party, or
  • You used a phrase synonymous with "no party" such as "unaffiliated," "independent," or "decline to state a preference," or
  • You attempted to register with a party that does not have official party or organization status.  A party must win 2% of the vote for president or governor in each general election to earn and keep official party status in Iowa, or complete a petition process for organization status, or
  • You registered with a party while it had official party status and have not subsequently re-registered with another party.
Ward and Supervisor

The Ward space should be blank for all Clayton County voters.  It indicates a voter's council district and is not used for any of the cities in Clayton County.

The Supervisor space should be blank for all Clayton County voters.  Some counties elect supervisors by district, but Clayton County supervisors are elected at large.

Regular, School, and City Polling Places

Your card lists three polling places.  You vote at your regular polling place for all general and primary elections.  You vote at your city polling place for city elections (November, odd-numbered years).  The area is left blank if you do not reside within the city limits.  You will only vote at your school polling place for school elections (September, odd-numbered years).  This includes school board elections and any special school bond or levy elections.


New cards are available on request at no cost.  If none of your information has changed, you may request a new card by phone, but we cannot change any of your voter information without your signature.  By law, voter cards must be mailed.  Our office normally processes cards once a week.  If you need proof of registration sooner, we can provide you with a certified copy of your registration. While a voter card or certified copy is not identification, some agencies accept them as secondary proof of address.