Property Tax Credits

Homestead Credit

The homestead credit equals the actual levy on the first $4,850 of value. In order to qualify for this credit, you must own and occupy the property on July 1, be a resident of Iowa and live at the property for at least six months out of the year. Anyone in the military or in a nursing home who would otherwise qualify for the credit can also receive it. You must claim eligibility for homestead credit before July 1 with the credit being applied to taxes due the following year. Forms are available in the County Assessor's Office. You only need to file this claim once and it will be valid for each year that you still qualify.

Elderly & Disabled Property Tax Credit

This credit provides tax relief above and beyond the homestead credit. To be eligible, you must be 65 years or older or totally disabled. Initially, the claimant and the claimants spouse needed have a combined income of less than $16,500, but since 2000, the $16,500 is adjusted for inflation each year. Each household member (unless they are husband and wife) can file a separate claim using their individual income and proportionate share of the property tax due. Claims for this credit must be filed with the County Treasurer by June 1 with the credit being applied to taxes due the following year.

Manufactured or Mobile Home Tax Credit

The mobile home tax credit brings tax relief to those whose manufactured or mobile homes are taxed by square footage instead of an assessed value. The intent is to provide the same relief to these taxpayers as the elderly and disabled credit does to property with assessed value. You must be at least 23 years or older and have a household income of less than $16,500 (adjusted for inflation like the elderly and disabled credit) to qualify. This credit is given as a rate reduction based on your income. Claims must be filed each year by June 1.

Agricultural Land Property Credit

Land used for agricultural or horticultural purposes and is at least 10 acres in size is eligible for this credit; buildings are excluded. You are not required to fill out a form of any kind. The County Auditor determines the amount of credit each taxpayer is eligible to receive.

Family Farm Property Tax Credit

To qualify for this credit, land must be owned either by certain people or legal entities or other persons who are actively farming the land. Like the Agricultural Land Property Credit,, the land must be 10 acres or more in size and buildings are excluded and the The County Auditor determines the amount of eligible credit . Claims must be filed before November 1 of the year before the credit is to be claimed. You only have to file for the credit once and it will be calculated every year.